Monday, March 15, 2010

Garden Spring 2010

Spring gardening is my favorite.  To me, it's really exciting to see plants start to emerge.  It's satisfying, and reminds me that life, well, goes on.  There are many lessons that my garden teaches me.  Pre-planning is essential, patience is necessary,  and you have to be willing to let some things be.   It's cool to realize how much control you really don't have.  You can nudge things, but really things are going to grow or not, despite your best efforts.  I also like feeling connected with the ground.  Mostly, though,  it enables me to be bold.  Particularly, with vegetable gardening.  I like experimenting with different plants.  I have had failures, but, more often, successes.

Like this rhubarb plant.  Here it is starting to come back up.  We planted this last spring.  To me, rhubarb is an exotic vegetable/fruit.  I wonder what it's 'official' classification is.  Either way, I love it and can not wait to make strawberry rhubarb galettes!  The peas are also starting to come up, but I've had some bird issues.  Those jerks think that my handiwork is delicious.  So, I've had to employ bird netting, and pin it down really well, because they kept getting in and munching on my seedlings.   Lack of control, right?

I have started some things inside, after a disastrous attempt last year.  I have some promising tomatoes and tomatillos.  I'm excited about the tomatillos.  I've never tried to grow them before, so I don't really know what to expect.  An added bonus is that they will be delicious.  Here's to gardening with no fear!


<--Tomatoes




                          
                          
                      Tomatillos-->

No comments:

Post a Comment