Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Making the universe

Birthday party time.  I prefer to make gifts when we go to Birthday Parties.  I also tend to pick projects when the girls can be actively engaged.  So, since the birthday love space, rockets and robots, we decided to make the galaxy.
 This idea came to me several months ago when we first made crayon cakes from old, broken crayons that were, honestly, driving me crazy with their uselessness.  Those broken things sat in a large box, neglected, in our craft cabinet.  One day, while caught up in the tangential pull of the internerd, I found a tutorial using old crayons.  Totally rad.  They turned out beautifully and the girls and I agreed that one of them looked like the earth...ergo several months later deciding to make all the planets!
 We looked at images of each heavenly body.  Frankie and Violet put in the colors that most looked like each planet.  We made two different sizes for the larger bodies, like the Sun, Jupiter, and Saturn.


 We also had to be creative with Saturns 'rings', so we made stripes, kind of.


 It was super fun.  We also include a printed out picture of the galaxy and I sewed it onto a blue moleskine notebook.  Add to that some robot stickers, and a present was born.
I've got the whole world in my hand.  The whole wide world.

No comments:

Post a Comment