Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Some vines of note.

I love flowering vines.  I've always had a soft spot in my heart for these delicate beauties.  I'm amazed at how they can transform most objects into a impressionist painting.  Here's a quick tour of the vines I have growing this year.  This one is a morning glory.  Forgive me, I don't seem to have the variety name.  Carnival something-or-other.  What I really love about this are how each flower is different.  Some have the inky stripes all over, while others are completely white.  They are beautiful, and grow rather fast, normally.  Since our weather has been so weird this year (no real summer, and as I am typing this I am in a hoodie and jeans), they aren't covering as much as they normally do.  I have faith though, since they bloom until frost, and that's a good three months away.


These are Creeping Canary vines.  This one grows super fast.  10 feet +.  It also blooms continuously, and I haven't had to deadhead, or really, do anything to it, other than watch it grow.  The tiny flower look like little birds.  Cute!  It's related to nasturiums and the plant is edible.  Speaking of nasturtiums. Look at these guys!  I've never seen Nasturtiums vine before.  They always behave themselves and stay in cute little mounds.  Not these though.  They have thrown caution to the wind and have decided to wind their way through a couple of dogwood shrubs.  The humingbirds like this act of rebellion, and so do I.
  
And lastly, the Sweet Pea.  If you get the chance to smell these, do it!  They smell like the sweetest roses.  Amazing.  Look at that color too.  Very swoon worthy.  I think they look like little bonnets. 
I hope you enjoy your garden today!


No comments:

Post a Comment